Woman taking a selfie with a mirror Woman taking a selfie with a mirror Free Photo from public domain license
Free
Mount McKinley or Denali ("The Great One") in Alaska. Original image from Carol M. Highsmith’s America, Library of… Mount McKinley or Denali ("The Great One") in Alaska. Original image from Carol M. Highsmith’s America, Library of… Free Photo from public domain license
Free

We are stoked to have partnerd with Carol as she continues on her epic journey to photograph every state in America. Check back often to see how she is progressing.

Over the past 38 years, Carol has traveled America capturing beautiful moments in time, preserving them for future generations. By donating these images to the Library of Congress she has generously made these images available to the public domain for everyone to enjoy.

"My first assignment was to document the restoration of the Willard Hotel, two blocks from the White House. It was once so prestigious, they called it the “Hotel of Presidents.” But by then it was an abandoned hulk. It was there that I first saw the astonishing images of Frances Benjamin Johnston, a pioneer female photographer who had also shot in the Willard Hotel 75 years earlier. She had donated her life’s work to the Library of Congress. Well, that was it!

I was inspired and energized by her work, and her generosity, and I was determined to follow in her footsteps. I, too, would give my work to our great national library — with no stipulations or restrictions, just as Frances did. They’re yours to study, use as you please, and enjoy. This is important work, I think – capturing our moment in time, just as Frances and Dorothea Lange and others did in theirs." Carol M. Highsmith

Next stop : Arizona

Fenway Park and the 'Green Monster,' Boston. Original image from Carol M. Highsmith’s America, Library of Congress… Fenway Park and the 'Green Monster,' Boston. Original image from Carol M. Highsmith’s America, Library of Congress… Free Photo from public domain license
Free

Fenway Park and the 'Green Monster,' Boston, Massachusetts

Restoration work on Reading Terminal. Original image from Carol M. Highsmith’s America, Library of Congress collection.… Restoration work on Reading Terminal. Original image from Carol M. Highsmith’s America, Library of Congress collection.… Free Photo from public domain license
Free

Restoration work on Reading Terminal, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Pops Restaurant on Route 66 in Arcadia, Oklahoma. This sculptural take on a soda bottle and straw soars 66 ft. into the sky.… Pops Restaurant on Route 66 in Arcadia, Oklahoma. This sculptural take on a soda bottle and straw soars 66 ft. into the sky.… Free Photo from public domain license
Free

Pops Restaurant on Route 66 in Arcadia, Oklahoma. This sculptural take on a soda bottle and straw soars 66 ft. into the sky

Yosemite National Park, United States. Original image from Carol M. Highsmith’s America, Library of Congress… Yosemite National Park, United States. Original image from Carol M. Highsmith’s America, Library of Congress… Free Photo from public domain license
Free

Yosemite National Park, United States. 

Samuel "Tamehorse" Gallegos, photographed in Pueblo, Colorado, at a gathering of North American Native People. Original image… Samuel "Tamehorse" Gallegos, photographed in Pueblo, Colorado, at a gathering of North American Native People. Original image… Free Photo from public domain license
Free

Samuel "Tamehorse" Gallegos, photographed in Pueblo, Colorado, at a gathering of North American Native People.

Rodeo action at the Cheyenne Frontier Days celebration in Wyoming's capital city. The Western celebration has been celebrated… Rodeo action at the Cheyenne Frontier Days celebration in Wyoming's capital city. The Western celebration has been celebrated… Free Photo from public domain license
Free

Rodeo action at the Cheyenne Frontier Days celebration in Wyoming's capital city. The Western celebration has been celebrated since 1897

Neighborhood in Old Havana with hand painted mural showing the Cuban flag and Che Guevara. Original image from Carol M.… Neighborhood in Old Havana with hand painted mural showing the Cuban flag and Che Guevara. Original image from Carol M.… Free Photo from public domain license
Free

Neighborhood in Old Havana with hand painted mural showing the Cuban flag and Che Guevara.

A refinery in Pascagoula, Mississippi. Original image from Carol M. Highsmith’s America, Library of Congress… A refinery in Pascagoula, Mississippi. Original image from Carol M. Highsmith’s America, Library of Congress… Free Photo from public domain license
Free

A refinery in Pascagoula, Mississippi. 

Ground Zero under construction New York City. Original image from Carol M. Highsmith’s America, Library of Congress… Ground Zero under construction New York City. Original image from Carol M. Highsmith’s America, Library of Congress… Free Photo from public domain license
Free

Ground Zero under construction, New York. November 6th, 2009.

"For years I would go up to the hotel and watch the rebuilding of the World Trade Center grounds as they were around the clock working on it. One night the moon came out and all the lights were on.. it was a moment and I was moved."

Aerial view of New York City, in which the World Trade Center Twin Towers is prominent. Original image from Carol M.… Aerial view of New York City, in which the World Trade Center Twin Towers is prominent. Original image from Carol M.… Free Photo from public domain license
Free

Aerial view of New York City, in which the World Trade Center Twin Towers is prominent.