Save Save Remove Delete Tower of the Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona, Arizona, a small city and popular tourist attraction thanks to its red sandstone formations, which glow brilliant orange or red when illuminated by the rising or setting sun. The Roman Catholic chapel, which rises among these formations, was commissioned by local rancher and sculptor Marguerite Brunswig Staude, who had been inspired in 1932 by the newly constructed Empire State Building to build such a church. After an attempt to do so in Budapest, Hungary, was aborted due to the outbreak of World War II, she decided to build the church in her native region. Original image from Carol M. Highsmith’s America, Library of Congress collection. Digitally enhanced by rawpixel. MoreFree public domain CC0 imageEditorial use onlyID : 582381 Jpeg Web size Jpeg 1200 x 800 px | 300 dpi Large size Jpeg 3500 x 2333 px | 300 dpi Original size Jpeg 8416 x 5611 px | 300 dpi View license We've made this image available to the public domain providing everyone access with a CC0 license.Free for personal and commercial use.No attribution required.